1. Unplug headlights
2. Remove clips on vacuum motor arms to headlight doors.
3. Remove 2 springs on each headlight door (4 total)
4. Remove 4 bolts holding the center grill panel to the hood latch support.
5. Remove 4 bolts holding right and left grill sections to hood latch support.
6. Remove 2 nuts on back of each grill, located on bottom middle and end of grill (4 nuts
7. Remove bolt on top of grill under the fender extension pass driver (2 bolts)
8. Cover bumper, stone guard, carefully remove bolt on top of center of grill, holding on
to grill, (may require 2 people) do this for passenger and driver sides.
9. Unplug vacuum hoses from motors, remove 2 nuts holding each vacuum motor (4 nuts,
bolts total) Remove motors.
10. Disconnect vacuum hose at intake manifold and install a plug.
Optional- Remove all vacuum hoses and vacuum reservoir under driver fender.
11. Motor arms should be lined up in the area painted gray on the motor mount and
motor arm. DO NOT connect any wires to power at this point, the motor could
12. Mount electric motor with mount on driver side, using original holes for vacuum
motor. Push motor completely to rear then tighten nuts.
13. Mount pass motor mount in original vacuum motor holes, mark 3rd hold and drill a
5/16 hole, tighten nuts.
14. Run wire harness to each motor, relay could be mounted on drivers or pass
fenderwell. DO NOT connect any wires to power yet.
15. Reinstall grills in reverse order, adjust headlight cover bumpers all the way in, do not
reuse springs, they are no longer needed.
16. Ensure the headlight covers are aligned, with the covers closed, check the gray mark
on the motor arm and the motor mount and align them by rotating the motor knob, THIS
IS CRITICAL, it is the start, closed position. Measure cover arms, shorten them as
needed, attach the cover arms with bolts provided, bolts should point toward the center
of car, tightening them will reduce slack and provide a better adjustment, you may have
to do this step a few times for adjustment.
17. Make sure the motors ARE NOT connected to power, then, by hand, rotate the knob
counter clockwise to open the cover, continue turning counterclockwise
Do this for both sides. Check for binding. Make adjustments to headlight cover arms as
needed. Adjust cover arms, motor mount, grill, headlight cover bumper stops can be
adjusted to ¼ inch from hitting the stops, but not needed …BEFORE POWER IS
CONNECTED. When covers are closed, the motor arm and mark on motor mount
should be aligned, failure to align them could burn motors, blow a fuse or damage
DO NOT CONNECT WIRES UNTIL MANUAL OPENING AND CLOSING
HAS BEEN COMPLETED BY ROTATING KNOB COUNTERCLOCKWISE
COMPLETELY, check for alignment of gray start position.
18. Connect wires, red wire to constant positive ie; battery positive or starter solenoid
positive terminal. Black wire to a good ground.
19. Simple test. Once the hot wire and ground are connected, you can test the opening
and closing of the covers by touching the blue(or yellow) signal wire to the positive side
of your battery. Holding the wire on the positive will open the covers, taking the wire off
the positive will close them. (IF COMFORTABLE DOING THIS) KEEP HANDS
AWAY FROM HEADLIGHT COVERS. THE MOTORS ARE STRONG AND
WILL SMASH THEM. THE MOTORS WILL NOT STOP.
20. Connect the signal wire, blue ( or yellow) wire to headlight dimmer switch wire… red
w/ yellow stripe, wire should come from headlight switch,(67 Cougars with external
vacuum switch may have a signal wire in engine bay located under windshield washer
bag red w/ yellow stripe,check this wire for power with headlights on, no power when
headlights are off ., or use dimmer switch)
21. Turn the headlights on, covers should open. Ensure they are completely open. If
they are too tight, the headlight cover arms may need to be adjusted, if they are too tight
when open, lengthen the cover arm…shorten the cover arm if they are not open fully.
Some headlight cover sag can be fixed by shortening the arms. Make
adjustments to motor arms with power wire disconnected!!!
Motors can rotate automatically and smash your hand!! Use
headlight cover arms and stops to adjust covers. Motor arms can moved slightly for
more adjustment but usually not needed.
These items are considered race only, or off-road. Improper installation or any type of headlight ,headlight
door failure can cause serious injury or death. Car owner assumes all risk of failure of any kind upon
installing these headlight door parts.
Catheadlights( Joshua Duitman) is not responsible for any consequences should a failure of any kind occur.
These parts must be installed by someone who is competent in installing and modifying automobile